Thursday, April 2, 2009

MOVING

After living in the same house for the first 18 years of my life, I've moved 9 times in the past 9 years. Yeah that is NINE TIMES (cue Ed Rooney from Ferris Bueler's Day off... 9 times.) This is becoming like a spring cleaning tradition, and still I don't get rid of as much as I should. I've moved this many times not because I didn't like where I was living, hmm ok some were after 18 years I was ready to leave home, after my freshman year in the dorms I was ready to get a real apartment, and after a crappy apartment I was really ready to split a townhouse with my friends.

So since I last graduated from college last year, my sister has saved me from living on the streets as I try to make it. So i had had no problem sharing an apartment, yet in the economy that we are in now finds us in a house at the same price as the apartment we were renting. Plus the space is great, the dog Nico loves having a back yard.

It is amazing what thoughts go through your head as you move boxes down flights of stairs, on and off trucks, and figure out where things go. I'm sure these became my facebook status over the past few days, but they bare repeating. The first is that moving your stuff requires stuff to keep you moving. Typically this is coffee,food, water, food, beer, sleep, and more coffee to get moving. The second gem is that once you have completely moved, you can't move at all, yet its ok because UHall trucks are just big games of tetris.

I swear the next time I move, and I know eventually my nomad bloodlines will cause me to move again. I'm getting a POD unit and having someone else deal with it.

Thanks for reading.
J.J. Gilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment