Saturday, March 7, 2009

Should We Stay or Should We Go

Should We Stay or Should We Go? That seems to be the question facing a lot of those I know through my eight degrees of separation. For example you know through previous post that I'm trying to figure out where I really belong, here, Air Force, trying to make sure I don't miss out on the right girl. My sister who I currently share an apartment with is trying to figure out where we live as our lease is up and the housing market is rougher than Hurricane swollen seas.

With in my love of sports, we've already seen Kurt Warner go through the back and forth with the AZ Cardinals. In all that a lot of questions had to be answered, how many premier years does he have left? how much will the contract be worth without offending him while paying a proven post season player? how does it effect the rest of the team?
Well the answer came when in typical male relationship science it came down to the team not wanting to admit it would come to terms one way or another, and Kurt was paid 24 million over the next two years. That still wouldn't have happened if Kurt didn't let his current team no he has no trouble flirting with other teams and contract offers. Especially when the first one to come calling is a NFC West division rival. So he'll make his money (half of which he'll end up giving to charity b/c he is that kind of guy) and still be a top 5 QB for the next couple of years, even being one of the best locker room guys ever and agreeing to give a few million back if that means the team keeps Q Boldin. So now the real work begins and trying to keep Q as a Cardinal needs to get done soon, and before the NFL draft the better.

However things just aren't looking up for the desert dogs. While they are beloved and trying to establish themselves, and finding the right chemistry in the locker room that leads to production on the ice. I was shocked how many proven players they moved this year at the trade deadline. Olli Jokinen and Dan Carcillo were growing a lot with this team, both contributed in many ways no more evident then the Shoot Out win over Atlanta this season. Yet you never know what happens in the NHL off-season and if they might be back. However the basic idea is right don't rely on young guns so much, get some sensational sophomores and mid aged talent that has 2-4 solid years under them and know how to play. Next year they will be back in the desert Shane Doan will have talent around him to take care of business at home and on the road. If they can put together a few more win streaks, and avoid the back breaking 10 game losing streak to start the second half of the season.

Finally I wish my next move was as easy as these players, I can't imagine getting paid to play and have that type of bank to fall back on in these economic times. I'm not a fool to think that they get every cent of a Million dollar deal, there is agents to pay, taxes to pay, and a lot is based on performance. Still that would be better than winning the lotto, imagine getting up and going to work everyday loving the sport you play and realizing how blessed you really are. Things are just a little more clear now that I'm 26, I'm a little older and wiser after a college degree, but if i could have just committed to one or two sports when I was a teenager, and not worry about wanting a car, or cool clothes, or parties, or going to the movies. It might be worth knowing my only way back to a normal life is by paying off my debt. The best way to do that and have honor in what I do is joining the US Air Force, and hopefully they will take me into their officer program.

OK its late, I'm not on deadline so your not getting a great finish to this rant. I'm going to bed, so I can catch the NHL game of the week on NBC at 9:30 am ( damn daylight saving times here in AZ ) Oh well nothing like hockey over breakfast.

Thanks for reading, Peace Out

J.J. Gilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment